Let’s face it. Sick workers make other workers sick. As a boss, here are some steps to encourage employees to stay home when sick.
- Set guidelines. Help employees understand why it’s important to stay home when sick. For example, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates individuals who get the flu may be able to infect others up to five days after becoming sick.
- Lead by example. Managers should be urged not to show up to work if they are sick.
- Speak with other managers to ensure everyone is fostering an environment that allows ill employees to feel comfortable to ask for sick leave.
- Review sick leave policies to ensure they are not counterproductive. Avoid making an employee feel required to report for work when he or she has body aches, is running fever or coughing.
- Keep common areas clean. Have disinfectant wipes and cleaning supplies readily available in conference rooms, kitchen areas and other spaces.